Young Drivers Car Insurance
Younger drivers are more likely to cause serious accidents
whilst on the road; it is for this reason that they
pay more for their car insurance. A young driver is
usually classed as someone who is younger than 25 years
Some insurance compan ies offer policies especially for
students and young drivers. These policies are often cheaper
because certain options have been removed from the insurance
package, for example:
- You may not be able to protect your no claims bonus.
- The excess that you need to pay if you cause an
accident may be higher than that of other insurance
- You may not have a temporary replacement car option
if yours needs to be repaired.
- You may only be able to purchase your insurance
online rather than in store.
By removing options such as these, the insurance company
can offer lower premiums to young drivers. If you are
a student or young driver looking for cheap car insurance,
it is well worth checking out policies specialised for
your circumstances, but be aware that exemptions have
been made to these policies in order to lower their
As well as looking for a policy specialised for young
drivers, there are a number of other ways to reduce
the cost of your car insurance:
- Take an advanced driving course, such as the pass
plus, to improve your driving skills. Most insurance
companies will then consider you to be a safer driver
and will give you a discount.
- Avoid buying large, sporty cars, especially those
with a turbo engine.
- If you have family member that has a lot driving
experience and has a good driving record, insure your
car under their name. If you do this however, you
cannot build up your no-claims bonus.